Welcome!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Shedding Layers

Yesterday, I did not get arrested for streaking, but we'll get back to that on another day. I actually had a lot of fun and am incredibly grateful for everyone's positive feedback.

I went for another walk this morning. I started out with fleece pants, sports bra top, long sleeved t-shirt, and a hooded sweatshirt - hood on my head - because, although it was glorious outside, it was still kind of cold. I got hot halfway and began to shed layers especially when I threw a jog in for a minute or two, but, when I was almost home, just the sports bra top was a little bare so I added the t-shirt back.... All of this to say, that we have to shed layers at times so that we do not suffocate and so that our movement isn't hindered. The layers of who we are trying to be, used to be, or think we are expected to be along with the baggage that comes along with them may seem comfortable until you start to peel away layers and feel your doggies breath.

This STUFF that we carry around and with which we cover ourselves up prevent our true selves from surfacing and prevent light and other manifestations from our higher power (such as love, faith, courage, etc...) from shining through to the point that we may not even recognize ourselves because we are covered up and incognito. As an old hymn says, "it's hard to dance with the devil on your back." So start shakin' it off!

On the other hand, we need to be compassionate with ourselves and not strip down to bra tops all at once in 40 degree weather... I'm sure some may take this metaphor way too literally this Super Bowl Sunday evening and as Mardi Gras approaches; either way, namaste! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment